Comstock Township was named after Horace Hawkins Comstock, who was an American businessman, lawyer, and politician. He established the village of Comstock, Michigan, where he built a grist mill, ran a store, and acted as the postmaster. When he built a schoolhouse, the people of the area named the surrounding township Comstock Township after him. He built warehouses and docks along the Kalamazoo River in an attempt to turn the village into a trading center, and undertook an unsuccessful campaign to have it named the seat of Kalamazoo County, even though the town of Kalamazoo had already been selected.
Comstock Township then organized by an act of the Territorial Legislature in 1834.
On March 5, 1979 it became a Charter Township, which operates under a home rule charter government, with a Supervisor, Clerk, Treasurer, and four Trustees forming the township board of governance.
Comstock serves 3 school districts, Comstock, Galesburg and Gull Lake. It operates 3 Fire Stations and contracts with Kalamazoo County Sheriff.
Comstock is the home of the largest greenhouse growers and largest brewery in the state of Michigan.