Snow Removal


During the time of year when nature blankets us with the worst of conditions, including snow, ice and freezing rain, we feel it is important to inform our citizens of the current snow plowing procedure so that you can become more aware and informed during this seasonal period. Comstock Township’s snow plowing/removal is provided by the Road Commission of Kalamazoo County (RCKC). The following list is the current prioritized order in which the Road Commission plows:

  1. All primary roads (i.e. Sprinkle Rd)
  2. All secondary roads (i.e. North 26th St., ML Ave, etc…..)
  3. All Township plats (i.e. Fleetwood Plat, East Main Homesites, etc…)

Please also be aware that roads such as Gull Road, King Highway/M-96, and I-94 are State roads. State roads are maintained by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT). Any questions or concerns regarding these roads should be directed to MDOT at (269) 337-3900.

Funding for snow plowing/removal in our Township is not funded with property taxes but is through the State of Michigan’s fuel tax and vehicle registration fee and then allocated to the Kalamazoo County Road Commission. The Township does not employ staff nor has it the facilities and equipment to accomplish this monumental task, therefore, the residents are not taxed separately for this service.

Funding information is briefly outlined in the Road Commission's website as follows:

They also have established a snow removal policy which can be found and viewed on this website as well as other informative information. Most of the brochures, such as the one for Snow Removal, can easily be printed for future reference. It outlines some of their plowing service limitations, routes, and criteria. Telephone numbers for concerns regarding snow or ice removal for routes I-94, US 131, M-43, M-96 or M-89 can also be found in this brochure.

Questions or concerns regarding your particular road should be directed to the Kalamazoo County Road Commission at (269) 381-3171.

We understand your concerns and ask that you exercise patience and understanding during this time. Any calls we receive at the Township regarding snow plowing/removal will be referred directly to the Kalamazoo County Road Commission. We also urge you to contact them directly.